Betep's Page 0

Ooooh lets paint the bridges!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ooooh lets paint the bridges!

Post  mermaid on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:01 am

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=OPINION02 little paint could make bridges kinder to the eyesText Size: A | A | A
Print this Article Email this Article ShareThis
November 16, 2010We just returned from a trip to northern Virginia and couldn't help but notice the colors of bridges and support beams for overpasses along the way. The new bridge on I-195 through Providence is a good example.
It's either a robin's-egg blue or mint green, depending upon the sunlight, and at night with its own lighting it's just as pleasing to the eye. It blends in and is very agreeable with the sky and makes the area very inviting and upbeat. The Bragga Bridge in Fall River is undergoing a paint job, and I hope it's a more pleasing and inviting color than in the past.
The Bourne and Sagamore are all we've got

For cryin` out loud......... !! What a great idea! I trust these people intend to do the painting themselves? Ooooh mint green or coral would be luverly.. Well intended idea - from very nice folks am sure. Probably unaware of the ongoing construction causing road rage... thazz ok! Would be fun to see the world from their eyes.. unflappable people! gotta love it !

NOTE: this is all I was able to cut/paste before CCT`s stopped me as I`ve had my 3 `premium` clicks already.... although I did delete my cookies. No matter now, made my point. ha-ha Very Happy
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Re: Ooooh lets paint the bridges!

Post  Betep on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 am

...The Bourne and Sagamore are all we've got; we need to get away from that industrial silver steel color. I'm fully aware of the punishment these bridges take from the elements, especially the salt. Great progress is being made in paint formulation and durability. The Cape bridges need to be "spiffied" up and be more pleasing to the eye.

We've got to live with these bridges for a lot longer, and steel girders are steel girders, but they may as well have a much more pleasant look to them.

Bill Gilroy

South Dennis

ICK!!! NO!!! Coral Pink and Lime Green bridges belong in South Florida.
Silver is cool.

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 am

Bridges must be functional but need not be beautiful
November 19, 2010

In response to Bill Gilroy's Nov. 16 letter, "A little paint could make bridges kinder to the eyes," I must respond: It's a bridge!

Who cares if it is painted "robin's-egg blue" "mint green" or "steel gray"? We need the bridges to function for the sole purpose of connecting us to the mainland. Let's put our valuable tax dollars spent on foolish projects like these back in our own pockets where it belongs. Paint your own house "mint green"!

Aaron Webb

Centerville

Back to top Go down

Post  Mastodon on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:48 am

Hah! Agree with you all...

Steel gray color adds to the strength of the massive bridges...in the mind`s eye. Folks may be afraid to cross if they were `pink.` Never mind how tacky it would look.

Mastadon

Mastodon

Gemini Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:02 am

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101124/OPINION/11240329/-1/OPINION02

Beauty is an essential part of all, natural or man-made

November 24, 2010I am compelled to respond to Aaron Webb's Nov. 19 letter in which he responded to Bill Gilroy's letter suggesting "a little paint could make bridges kinder to the eyes."

Mr. Webb's answer was, "Who cares if it is painted robin's-egg blue," etc., was totally insensitive, dismissive and ignorant of the fact that beauty, whether it is created by man or nature, is necessary for our spirits and enhances our lives.

If no one had cared about beauty, why would prehistoric men have painted on caves? Why would masons have created gorgeous cathedrals, artists fabulous monuments (the Lincoln Memorial comes to mind), and yes, painted bridges with colorful themes of Native Americans in New Mexico, Arizona and other Western states. We have these creations because people, past and present, cared about being "kinder to the eyes," as Mr. Gilroy so graciously suggested.

Yes, bridges do primarily function to connect us to the mainland. However, wouldn't it be wonderful to see the Sagamore bridge painted blue? Has Mr. Webb ever seen the iconic Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco? It is painted red!

Joan Gray

West Yarmouth
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear.. just when I thought they put this baby to bed. Rolling Eyes
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 am

It's a bit different than slapping a coat or two of Dutch Boy on the 3 bedroom ranch.

The paint on the Cape Cod Canal bridges is called EternaBrite 601 and is actually 90% aluminum leaf to protect against corrosion.

The Golden Gate bridge is painted International Orange and while part of the choice is aesthetic and part functional, it's mostly because the metal components were painted with a red lead primer. (Painting The Golden Gate Bridge)

Keep the silver. It's lovely. Take a trip down the Intra Coastal Waterway if you want to see other colors on bridges.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top