Betep's Page 0

Food!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food!

Post  Betep on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:28 am

Food: we all eat.

A month old article showed up on the Cape Cod Times. I'm linking to Southern Oregon's Mail Tribune:

Ketchup goes artisanal
By By MICHELLE LOCKE
For The Associated Press
July 27, 2011 - 2:00 AM

There's a seasonal shift going on in the condiment firmament. Ketchup, the big, red staple of American pantries, is catching up with the cool crowd as chefs and food entrepreneurs seek new inspiration.

"It's a very exciting time to be making ketchup," says Scott Norton, who with Mark Ramadan founded the recently launched Sir Kensington's Gourmet Scooping Ketchup.

Organic ketchup, spicy ketchup, gourmet ketchup, curry ketchup: All have blossomed in recent years, a development that James Oseland, editor-in-chief of Saveur magazine, has noted with approval. "Who doesn't love a good catsup?" he points out.

About the whole ketchup vs. catsup thing — like tomato vs. tomahto — this seems to be a matter of personal choice. Oseland uses both depending on his mood. The big tomato in American sauce, of course, is Heinz, which launched its ketchup in 1876. Interestingly, this wasn't the company's first venture; Heinz began with a horseradish sauce in 1869. Today, more than 650 million bottles of Heinz ketchup are sold worldwide, adding up to more than $1.5 billion in annual sales.

Tradition is part of the appeal of Heinz; this year the company brought back the classic glass bottles for a limited time in stores. This is the bottle with the "57" on the neck denoting the "sweet spot" one taps to get the ketchup to exit at maximum velocity of .028 miles per hour. But Heinz, the market leader, also has been part of the changing sauce scene, expanding its products to include a no-added-salt version, organic ketchup, a Hot & Spicy bottle with a kick of Tabasco sauce and Simply Heinz, which uses sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup.

Hunt's and Del Monte are two other big names in U.S. ketchup; additional brands that have found a place on the shelf include Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup, Muir Glen Organic Ketchup, Organicville Tomato Ketchup and Stonewall Kitchen Country Ketchup, a product described as "ketchup all grown up."

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Re: Food!

Post  mermaid on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 am

True! Unlike exercise, we all eat.
Heinz was top pick by all my instructors at Fannie Farmer University
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 am

Hunt's in the fridge. No HFCS.
Homemade salsa too.

I've asked the Unilever Corp. for a bit of High Fructose Corn Syrup. "No".

I had to ask about the Fudgesicles last year. I got a free coupon but no HFCS. My sister lives in Iowa, She has friends. Getting HFCS is tough! cpasiba

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 am

Granted Betep !
However when I was in school, (`77) nobody knew of HFCS. Also, since Miss Farmer made candy, my belief is she was quite fond of HFCS -

I still don`t understand/care for salsa, but thats my personal preference bounce
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top