Time Flies...

Post  Betep on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 am

From the Register:
‘Time flies’ in West Dennis

By Nicole Muller
The Register
Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 07:00 AM
WEST DENNIS —

"Gail Smith, owner of Smith’s Clock Shop on Route 28 in West Dennis, is a third-generation horologist, skilled in the art and science of timekeeping. One might say it’s in her genes: Smith’s father William O. Smith Jr., is renowned in the field, and her grandfather, William O. Smith Sr., founded the largest clock making school in the world in 1936, the Western Pennsylvania Horological Institute.

Bill Smith, 83, grew up in the business. “After my father, a brilliant watchmaker, opened his school, I was there every day learning,” Smith says. “The Bureau of Rehabilitation sent his first students, disabled World War I veterans.” The school grew to serve more than 2,000 students, and finally went out of business in the late 1960s, when inexpensive quartz and electric watches gained popularity."
Full story

I LOVE this place! I almost look forward to my Swiss Army watch battery dying or band breaking so I can visit. Top of the hour is "Time" by Pink Floyd. I could wax poetic about dying arts, but I won't. I love gears. Drafting them is an art unto itself. If my jewelry making skills were better, I'd make some Steampunk stuff.
Betep

Aries Posts : 1761

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum