Betep's Page 0

Gahdening advice needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gahdening advice needed

Post  mermaid on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:22 am

Its too late for the dahlia my dad gave me to grow...its about 2 inches tall on its good days. His are over a foot tall..Hmm.
Any ideas for planting something this late in the season for easy growing? I don`t care if its parsley.....
No green thumb here.. Rolling Eyes
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Re: Gahdening advice needed

Post  Betep on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 am

Herb gardens work all season, bush beans and peas are still good to go. Snap beans and Radishes every 2 weeks. I plant the last squash end of June. Lettuce and spinach after the insane heat dies down.
Remember, we have a mild start of winter here. I was picking peppers in the second week of December (17th I think) in 2009.
Betep

Aries Posts : 1745

Back to top Go down

re: Gahdening advice

Post  mermaid on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 am

Happy Bastille Day everyone !!! Very Happy

Thanks very much for the cool ideas! Cool
Got really good news! My poor little dahlia has been struggling against the jolly green towers of tomato plants...so its been moved to a `private` area. I think its got a shot!!
Radishes are great for color & making garnishes out of...other than that I won`t eat them.
So! I`m growing grass. Its called Vita Grass for dogs & cats to munch on. Says 100% organic wheat grass. Has that infamous `As seen on tv` thing on the box. Rolling Eyes But wow its growin` like a weed! bounce !! so now I feel complete in the gahden biz. And a client of mine`s 10 felines will like it....afterall, it says it on the box.

Also, boy oh boy I sure know after aaallllllllllll these years that fall is often a heat wave. [ ok at least to me ], this summer is more like a tidal wave of atrocious dewpoints.... Crying or Very sad Sad = (I`m not crying, I`m sweating.)

However many folks love this weather. I`m truly very happy for these people..really! I don`t neeeeeeeeed to understand why they do. My dad just told me in all his 82 yrs he`s never experienced such a long period of this `mucky air...`(mucky,..my wording)
The gahdens really are loving it up !!
Time to get my cookbooks out- 1001 things to do with;
string beans,
tomatoes,
cukes,
etc.

Note: `They` say northeast winds on Thursday. Keeping my expectations out of it. I can dream though.... Wink

mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 am

I'm not fond of radishes, but they are an easy grow. I searched Radish Effects. No radishes here this year.

Spinach seeds should be on sale now so I'll get some for the fall. Getting the soil ready will wait for a (relatively) cool day. Nothing like a shovel, wheelbarrow and some peat moss in the sun.

Tomatoes are kickin' in this hot weather! Some judicious pruning has 'forced' a lot of fruits. Peppers are looking good too. No bunnies! albino
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Cape growers supply gardens with seedlings
By Eric Williams
also by Jason Kolnos
ewilliams@capecodonline.com
March 27, 2012

DENNIS — They are the green Dr. Frankensteins of Cape Cod, creating life in their earthy laboratories so the rest of us can sink hardy plants into our summer gardens or buy real Cape-grown produce.

Meet the seed people and marvel at their painstaking, precise ways of birthing tomatoes, peppers and everything else you can't wait to eat. They jolt thousands of plants into existence with a bracing cocktail of dirt and water, and right now they are going full blazes.

Enter the greenhouse lair of Jack Stacy, king of the Cape's heirloom tomato growers, at Matt's Organic Gardens in Dennis. The tiny tomato plants in his back room look like a little rain forest.

"We're looking at about 3,000-plus tomato, eggplant (and) pepper plants," said Stacy.

How many kinds of tomatoes this year?

"I've got about 130 different varieties. I try to curb myself. I was going to try to keep it to 100 but when I get the catalogues in late fall ... it kind of backfires on me. But I can't help myself in that respect."

In a tip to modern technology, Stacy is printing out the little ID signs for his plants for the first time this year. That saves having to write thousands of little plant names over and over on the tags.

Even with gee-whiz tag technology, there is still plenty of repetitive hands-on work around seedling startups. Why mess with those tiny seeds anyway?

Matt's Organic has some great stuff!
I think I'll get this years peppers there. Not sure what kind though.
No bunnies! albino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top