Betep's Page 0

Sean Wants No Left Turns

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sean Wants No Left Turns

Post  Old Caper on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:49 pm

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100704/NEWS/7040326/-1/NEWS01

Sean Gonsalvs in his new incarnation, indistinguishable from his previous one, would like to see left turns all but eliminated in order to speed traffic along. I don't make left turns. Not because I give a damn about speeding traffic along but because several years ago I got rear ended. Not waiting to make a left turn but stopped at a traffic light, in the right lane, waiting to go straight ahead, by a large panel truck driven by a plumber. I believe he was on his cell phone but can't say that categorically.

Since then I don't make left turns into, or out of, business establishments on busy roads.. I either go right and wait until I can make a U turn safely in someone's parking lot or go out a back exit if there is one.

My point is, if someone doesn't want to make a left turn, they don't have to. If left turns were legislated against then no one would make them and the congestion that was avoided would simply be moved to another place.

Example, exiting Bell Tower Mall in Centerville. To avoid making a left onto Route 28, you'd have to go out the back way onto Richardson and go turn right at Great Marsh Road. Make another right on Phinney's Lane to the trafic light on Route 28, which would now be backed up, and make your left turn there.

I do it out of fear but if everyone had to do it, it would slow up traffic at the light. Nothing saved. Wasted time, wasted gas, and increased congestion at the intersection of route 28 ad Phinney's Lane, which is problematic enough as it is. I believe the same conditions would prevail in most locations. Forget it, Sean.
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

Re: Sean Wants No Left Turns

Post  Betep on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Good (late) morning OC! I had a pretty good feeling you would be here today when I saw this: Local news column kicks off today
July 04, 2010

TO OUR READERS:

Today we are pleased to announce a new column about the Cape and Islands that will be a regular feature of the Cape Cod Times.

Written by Sean Gonsalves, the column will examine issues and events that are making headlines and will explore aspects of this special part of the world that are not in the news. It will appear every Sunday and Wednesday.

OK, my take on Right Turns. They are capitalized in the summer. I plan my outings in a military cargo-offloading precision; last in, first out. I can't avoid ALL left turns, the dump being my first stop needs a left turn to exit on my way to the rest of the southern parts of Yarmouth. There is a plan for a traffic light there. I think it was $6 million, but the Register's site is '503 Service Unavailable' for searches today. I could do it for less and faster including a traffic management class or two.
I avoid left turns; there are stories about UPS only taking Right Turns. 'ups right turn myth' will also show up if you search. Traffic lights, 4 way stops and the occasional smile and wave will get you through the summer. Leave early, put down the phone and smile. It's summer.
Funny aside: The woman driving the Provincetown Trolley Tour refuses to go to Hyannis in the summer. She said it was too stressful.
Betep

Aries Posts : 1761

Back to top Go down

Road rules: Bicycles vs. cars

Post  Betep on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 pm

More from Sean:
Road rules: Bicycles vs. cars
By Sean Gonsalves
sgonsalves@capecodonline.com
July 28, 2010

EDITOR'S NOTE: An earlier version of this column contained incorrect information about when the Pan-Mass Challenge will be held. The error has been corrected in this version.

You know the scene: You're driving down Route 28 and someone is biking along the right-hand shoulder — toward you, riding against the flow of traffic.

Illegal!

Or, like I saw yesterday afternoon in Hyannis, a young fella pedals down Main Street — against traffic on the sidewalk!

Double-illegal!

There's the flip side, of course. Car door suddenly opens. Cyclist careens into door and catapults into the air before splatting down on the pavement. Oh, it's funny in the movies or on YouTube but not when you're the one with road rash, thanks to Mr. I-Live-In-This-World-By-Myself.

Illegal and inconsiderate!
Read story
______________________________________________________________-

I'm not sure what to think of Sean being folksy-local. Dropped the ball on this story. The roads are a nightmare and the 8" granite curbs the state fairly insists on are no help. On a personal note, there are some very considerate drivers on my stretch of 6A. They stop to let me cross often. I've only been bumped once by a car.
Betep

Aries Posts : 1761

Back to top Go down

RE : Road Rules: bicycles vs. cars/ left-hand turns

Post  mermaid on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Pan- Mass Challenge is a great cause to be sure. They go right behind my house each year. I will not drive while they are passing thru. Emergencies excluded.
These riders as well as other bicycle riders are often adamant about riding side by side, or even in larger groups.. not only is it illegal, its extremely rude, arrogant & annoying.
I actually followed a guy who refused to get on ANY side.. he was insistent on pretending he was a car. Obviously training for something, he was an accident in motion.

Left hand turns; Often 3-4 or more vehicles ahead of me are waiting to make left hand turns. This is how I got rear-ended years ago. Being the last car in line, I got slammed into. My Subaru [totaled] pushed into all the others ahead of me. She was going 40 mph. Still have physical repercussions from it... this was 1986.
I do make left hand turns on occasion, or have to stop because someone else is, but I`m sure looking in the rear-view mirror out of rational fear. Not that I could do much about it, should whomever not stop in time. I still look.

footnote: I do not go to Hyannis in summer unless I absolutely must. Even off season the place is nuts. Back roads. Get in - get out.
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Re: Sean Wants No Left Turns

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top