Betep's Page 0

Meteorites!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Meteorites!

Post  Betep on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:01 am

2010 Meteor Showers and Viewing Tips
"August 12, 13 - Perseids Meteor Shower. The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers to observe, producing up to 60 meteors per hour at their peak. This year's shower should peak on the night of August 12 and the morning of the 13th, but you may be able to see some meteors any time from July 23 - August 22. The radiant point for this shower will be in the constellation Perseus. The thin, crescent moon will be out of the way early, setting the stage for a potentially spectacular show. For best viewing, look to the northeast after midnight."
"For those who want to know, the Perseid meteor shower is the result of the comet Swift-Tuttle, which passes relatively close to Earth every 133-135 years. In fact, there’s some speculation that the comet could ultimately strike our planet in the distant future (we’re talking the year 4479 here…)."

Not that many, but it was a good night to watch, with no moon and no clouds.
Try again tonight.

Last edited by Betep on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
Betep

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Re: Meteorites!

Post  mermaid on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm

IF & its a big if, I happen to be up, will be looking out for these. They`re so magical. Go away clouds.. Like a Star @ heaven bounce Like a Star @ heaven
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 am

Low clouds @ Midnight and 1am, a good break but still a bit hazy @ 2am, clouds again @ 3am.
I did glimpse a couple bats though.
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:39 am

Nothing @ Midnight tonight, @ 1am I saw quite a few including one that was longer than the span of my hand held up to the sky. I went out about every hour for a while for the rest of the night and saw some every time out.
See what happens tonight.
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:36 am

WoW how cool that must have been !!

For me- Diagnosis:
Double swimmer`s ear infection.
Treatment: Lots of rest; no bungee jumping. Meteor showers ? Only in my dreams....... bounce .darn it.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Meteors From Halley's Comet Rain Down on Earth

Post  Betep on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Meteors From Halley's Comet Rain Down on Earth
By SPACE.com Staff

This story was updated at 8 a.m. ET, Oct. 21.

Halley's Comet won't zoom near Earth again for another 50 years, but the ice ball may still put on a show for some skywatchers this week in the form of a meteor shower.

Astronomers in Canada have snapped photos of meteors that are actually bits of Halley's Comet left behind during its long, looping, 76-year trip around the sun. [Photo of a meteor from Halley's Comet.]

Twice a year — in early May and mid-October — Earth plows through this cometary debris field and chunks of Halley's Comet burn up high in our planet's atmosphere, producing a meteor shower.

This year's October shower — called the Orionid meteor shower, because it appears to come from the constellation Orion — has been going on since Oct. 15, according to NASA officials. It will peak today (Oct. 21).

BUT!!!
Unfortunately, the light from the nearly full moon this week will wash out the fainter meteors, so the shower won't be quite so dramatic.
Cold, clear night. Moon rise: 4:49 PM EDT Set: 5:36 AM EDT

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:58 am

No meteor showers seen from this area last night.......... You?
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:27 am

Hat trick, trifecta, triple play of MISS...
Missed remembering it,
Missed hearing about it,
Missed seeing it. (obviously)

Back to top Go down

Man Says He Found Pieces From Tuesday's Meteor Shower

Post  Betep on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 am

Man Says He Found Pieces From Tuesday's Meteor Shower

FREDERICK, Md. (WUSA) --- Al LaBrush says he walked out of Danielle's Italian & American restaurant last Tuesday night and saw a meteor shower so close that he heard the "crackling" or "muffled fireworks" sound of the shooting star.

LaBrush has been an avid skywatcher for most of his life. But he says he has never seen a meteor shower, the size of a "Volkswagon bus" so close. Although the sighting was beautiful, he was also afraid the meteor would explode in mid-air above him.

"I just didn't know what to think. I just stopped breathing. I couldn't think. I couldn't reason anything I just soaked as much as [I could]. I knew it would be a short lived thing, and if it exploded, it would be real short lived!"

After the light show, LaBrush took out his customized cane. He had screwed on a magnet at the end of it. The skywatcher says that magnet picked up small pieces of meteorite left behind from the shooting star.

But right now, 9NEWS NOW has no confirmation the rocks came from the meteor.

Written by Elizabeth Jia
9NEWS NOW & WUSA9.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I believe he believes he saw this.

Also I must get my skylights installed, the tenants aren`t sold on the idea yet.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Eclipse 2011

Post  Betep on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

East Coast USA gets nothing! 4 this year, none to be seen.

Today's chat with Russia included:

"Did you see the eclipse?"
"Yes, it was cloudy but clouds parted and we saw it. Did you?"

I explained that solar eclipses aren't possible at 4 am, etc.

From Voice of Russia:
Meteor showers and partial eclipse on Tuesday morning
The beginning of 2011 will be marked by a rare astronomical phenomenon, namely the partial eclipse of the sun, accompanied by the appearance of hundreds of falling stars in the sky.

The first solar eclipse in the New Year will start at 06.40 GMT (09.40 Moscow time) on Tuesday.

It will be visible to residents of Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and Northern Africa.The upcoming eclipse will not be complete, since only 86 percent of the sun will be covered.

The next solar eclipse will not take place until March 2015.During the night before the solar eclipse another celestial phenomenon will take place: the Quadrantid Meteor Shower. According to astronomers, the peak of activity of the Quadrantids will be 01.10 GMT (04.10 Moscow time) on January 4th.

The best shooting stars will be seen in Europe and Central Asia.

Astrologers say these events are an indication that 2011 will be the most successful year in the coming decade.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:02 am

Betep wrote:East Coast USA gets nothing! 4 this year, none to be seen.

Today's chat with Russia included:

"Did you see the eclipse?"
"Yes, it was cloudy but clouds parted and we saw it. Did you?"

I explained that solar eclipses aren't possible at 4 am, etc.

too funny.

Do we have the meteor shower calendar around here for this year? :computerwork: Can`t seem to find it......
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Ask and ye shall receive!

2012 meteor calendar from Skyscrapers.

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/meteors/

It's cool because it takes the moon phases into account.

Lyrids are next up with a new moon.
April 21-22

"The swift and bright Lyrid meteors disintegrate after hitting our atmosphere at a moderate speed of 29.8 miles per second. They often produce luminous trains of dust that can be observed for several seconds."

From http://meteorshowersonline.com/lyrids.html

"The Lyrid meteor shower is not one of the strongest of the annual meteor showers, but it can be enjoyable to those meteor observers thirsting for something after over three and a half months of weak meteor activity.

The Lyrids generally begin on April 16 and end on April 26, with maximum generally occurring during the night of April 21/22. At maximum, hourly rates can reach about 10 meteors per hour. The Lyrids are particularly interesting for two reason. First, observations have been identified back to at least 2600 years, which is longer than any other meteor shower. Second, the meteor shower occasionally experiences an outburst of about 100 meteors per hour and the reason is basically unknown.

There are other, weaker meteor showers going on around the same time as the Lyrids. The Lyrids move rather fast. When you see a meteor, mentally trace it backwards. If you end up at the constellation Lyra then you have probably seen a Lyrid meteor! If you are not sure where Lyra is in the sky, the following charts will help you find it from both the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:17 pm

bounce

Thank you !!

...now that I`m up at 2:30 a.m again I`ll get to see some !

bounce :crow:
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:42 pm

EXETER, N.H. (WHDH) -- A man in Exeter, New Hampshire said he found a piece of a meteorite that apparently struck Earth last Tuesday.

“This is the top piece that was sticking out of the ground, for the most part,” said Aiden Urely.

The American Meteor Society's website says that last Tuesday, dozens of people in New England and Canada, reported seeing a fireball in the night sky.

A photo from Portsmouthwebcam.com shows the bright stream of light over the Memorial Bridge as a meteor burned through the thermosphere.

Aiden Urely saw that bright green light, and believed the meteor landed nearby.

“This big, huge green ball just dropped right over the neighbors’ house. I thought it was a spaceship, we started yelling,” Urely said.

Urely checked the ground and didn't see anything, but he smelled something.

“Kind of like a burning asphalt, weird burning,” Urely said.

The next morning, Urely went back and found what he believed to be a meteorite, broken into a few small pieces. The biggest piece is magnetic.

Urely took it to someone who knows a lot about rocks: Neil Santerre of “Stones and Stuff.”

“I was like, ‘Wow, I’ve never been able to see a fresh one,’” said Santerre.

Santerre doesn't think it's from this planet.

“If you got close enough you could smell that burn effect,” Santerre said.

A find like this is extremely rare, so if it's what Urely believe it is -- a rock from outer space -- it could mean his bank account is about to skyrocket.

(Copyright (c) 2012 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.) fear

Read more: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12006870399329/man-claims-to-find-meteor-pieces-in-nh/#ixzz1oMLyQPUG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum