Betep's Page 0

New Hampshire sees value in preserving old bridges

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:44 am

September 24, 2010

Why save Chatham's wooden drawbridge? Why not be efficient like everyone else?

I asked myself this after reading the commonwealth's proposal to build a modern bridge. But then I considered the iconic covered bridges that dot northern New England. Why save them when we could plop a few I-beams down over abutments and pour a cement deck and add a few aluminum guardrails?

Here's why. People come to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine to see such old things: covered bridges, lighthouses, schooners and meetinghouses. There are those aficionados who travel hundreds of miles, checking off their lists of notable covered bridges and lighthouses.

See for yourselves. Google up the new Slate Covered Bridge in Swanzey, N.H., the new Smith Covered Bridge in Plymouth or the new Corbin Covered Bridge in Newport. The state of New Hampshire supplied funds for rebuilding the magnificent Cornish-Windsor covered bridge over the Connecticut River in an attempt to lure the foliage trade across the Connecticut River from Vermont.

The Chatham wooden drawbridge has value beyond its purpose as a utilitarian span. It is part of our nation's civil engineering heritage. It is Chatham, too.

Steven W. Lindsey

Keene, N.H.

The writer is a New Hampshire state representative.
It's a nice place, it's a nice thing. Keep a few cool things/places. It's a bit of of bitch to get to, but worth the effort. I've opened up a few bridges in my time, and this is one the nicest. Having opened a few bridges, I don't get too upset waiting for them. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG/short
(That's the horn to use to open a drawbridge)

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Re: New Hampshire sees value in preserving old bridges

Post  mermaid on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:38 am

I agree, keep SOME history intact. Of course its easy to say b/c its not my $$. Even if it was I`d feel the same way.
They managed to screw up the Brewster Herring Run. Tho `they` said they wouldn`t. Now parking there is worse than ever. Bah !!
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top