Unions pump $1.3M to fight sales tax cut

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Betep on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:54 am

By STEVE LeBLANC
Associated Press Writer
October 03, 2010
BOSTON — Unions have pumped more than $1.3 million into the fight against a statewide ballot question designed to lower Massachusetts sales tax rate from 6.25 percent to 3 percent.

The bulk of the money has come from teachers unions, including more than $560,000 from the Massachusetts Teachers Association, the state's largest teachers union, and another half million dollars from the National Education Association.
More Times Breaking News

The American Federation of Teachers, a smaller union, has chipped in more than $50,000. A non-teacher union, the Service Employees International Union, contributed $150,000 to the campaign.

A spokesman for the group, the Massachusetts Coalition for Our Communities, said the coalition hopes to raise even more to launch television ads before Election Day.

"We're running a campaign," said Toby McGrath, campaign manager for the coalition. "We're planning on going to go up on television and we'll definitely do that."

So far, the group has spent about $400,000 of the $1.3 million on consulting fees.

Where do I sign up for one of the "Consulting" jobs?
I'd be hot under the collar if I was paying union dues that went to fund this campaign.

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top