Betep's Page 0

Swan love

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swan love

Post  mermaid on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:08 pm

This has been one of the best summers I`ve had in years! In no way perfect... was a HOT one. Tempers flared. `Visitors` thought they ruled the Cape. Per usual. However, met many really kind & decent folks.
All uplanned, especially in regards to these photos. Intention was to go to a peaceful place while looking for work. SO much enjoyment came from this one place.

I`ve learned so much about swans. Here are some of my discoveries/experiences-

1. I did not know they are not native to this country.
2. People complain about the swan`s bad attitudes. Truth is they are doing what swans do. Which is protecting their young, themselves & their territory.
3. Being SO large, they require up to 10 acres for their domain. In fact they insist upon it.
4. They will break your arm if they get angry enough, but they won`t harm anyone for no good reason. Piss them off? Get too close to their kids? You`re asking for trouble.
5. Witnessing the power of these huge birds, I would NOT repeat NOT reccommend anyone get as close to them as I have. [see photos] I`ve been studying them for years & know their motives from all angles.
6. Not an advocate of feeding waterfowl !! I`ve seen people feed the swans a little bit of food. The swans of course want more... , then the same people smack them with a towel. This ain`t cool. Especially if I`m there at the time.. the swans & I will help you correct your behavior & quickly.
7. On that note, I`ve watched kids throw rocks at the ducks, & hit them dead on. Again, if I`m there, & the human parents say nothing, I wait about 2 seconds then I do say something & will again as necessary.
8. This particular swan family & I have an understanding. When someone approaches me in their area, I`ve watched in amazement as the adult swans go after this person... especially if they sense I`m in distress. They are simply protecting me. Not looking to cause harm.
9. Communication is a firm NO. Not a shout, not a NO with a question mark at the end. They`re too smart for that! There is a special tune I sing to them softly - this has caused them to turn their heads sideways, stretch out & up, sometimes just plunk themselves right down on the beach while I read or sketch. Ya rite?! Like I can concentrate while a 50 lb bird is 2 feet from me... with a 7-8 foot wingspan capable of, well, we won`t go there.
I simply move very slowly & practice much respect for who they are & that they didn`t ask to be brought into this country. In fact - I didn`t ask to be born either.

The summer is not over yet !! Not for me! Or my swan family. The swan `tweens` are almost big enough to fly..
Summers end however is getting close.. Rolling Eyes - I`ll stay in denial as long as I can.
May as well, work isn`t happening......... Yet !

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/myphotos.html

Who else had a great summer? Don`t put those shorts away yet!!

Last edited by mermaid on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : details, details...)
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Re: Swan love

Post  Betep on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:36 am

From snosno's gallery on Wunderground

Last edited by Betep on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks very much for fixing this link !! Tho I did preview it before hitting `send` I didn`t catch the mistake. Sharp as a tack you are!

Also the site is spelt wunderground.. not wonderground... !!

I owe ya one! bounce
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:01 am

Right you are! WUNDERGROUND.COM it is!
I have it bookmarked with a few cities saved so I don't type it often. I DO tell people to check it when they have questions about the weather ("W UNDERGROUND.COM sir, zip code 02664").

If you think the weather sucks here, check out McMurdo, Antarctica. Save for a hurricane, it's all bluebirds and happiness compared to the "Big Dead Place". It's kinda like Woods Hole with the chance of hypothermia death and walking away is difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:15 am

eeek!!! the Big Dead Place is nowhere I`d want to go affraid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:41 am

Admin and you have the ability to edit your post, I don't.
http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/imagesearch.html?handle=snosno&handlebox=1&submit=go

Some nice pix from a phone! I'll have to find a good FREE photo edit.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:55 am

First & foremost the credit goes to the crew as follows:
Power-Dad
Grace-Mom
Evil step-swan- [not really evil, all swans hate any other swans kids. She did behave very poorly, Yet, simply doing what her instincts tell her to do..so Who am I to judge??]

Cygnets !! ;
Mohawk-
Angelface-
Blazergirl-
Prize-fighter-

What a cellphone can do!! I`m still amazed with each photo I take... Out of roughly 500 pictures, the keepers go down to about 250... noone wants to see a trash barrel, my knee, half a swan, etc. They move quickly! as Mother Nature does..., at times I take the picture going by what I feel they are going to do next..

Verizon Wireless; eat your hearts out!! as I`m getting more than my $$$ worth out of your Company ! haha...!
This cell phone does almost everything but vaccuum my apartment- darn good thing because I prefer to do that myself bounce

Stay tuned all you swan lovers....it ain`t over til the swans fly!

"Swans aren`t my whole life- but they make my life whole."
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 am

Speaking of Wild!Life, the adults are back - from gawd knows where.. The dad & the step-swan are on a mission...to rid the 60 acre lake of his own kids. All instinctual...... they don`t mean to be mean. Its simply what they do.

Also, I found PrizeFighter`s remains on opposite side of lake. Coyote I`m guessing.

I am NO match for these enormous birds. The dad`s neck is bigger around than my car. How could I forget how Massive they are??!! I held them off for about an hour from getting to Mohawk....I had no fear & they knew/sensed it. There is virtually nothing I can do for the kids, risking my life won`t help them one teeny bit.

Its a damn helpless feeling..... pale These abandoned kids have become my own. Heartbreaking scenario. I`ll check on them, from afar, but am staying away.

sigh.

note: updates posted on www.wunderground.com

mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:41 am

Well. Its not nice to fool mother nature. But I've been fooled again!
The reason why these swans looked so big is b/c they are! Rolling Eyes This is a new couple on the scene...

AND the best news is that the kidz appear to be reasonably safe, saw all 3 of them yesterday. Maby they can all `share` ? Least til the kidz get bigger & they can zoom off to a safer place. Where I don`t know, mute swans are everywhere...there is NO shortage.

Had a brief encounter with Mr.Mastadon... we were checkin' each other out... somehow I didn`t have the urge to go swimming. [see wunderground site] No tusks, they`re under all those feathers somewhere. affraid looking online for some full body armor... better than a full body cast.

The more I learn the more there is to BE learned.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Bewick Swans

Post  mermaid on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 am

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Divorced-swan-returns-Gloucestershire-new-lover/article-2911783-detail/article.html

mermaid

Back to top Go down

Ice rescue for 21 stranded swans

Post  Betep on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:39 am

From the BBC: Ice rescue for 21 stranded swans With video.
Volunteers from animal charity Secret World have rescued 21 swans which were found stuck in ice on the Somerset Levels.

The starving birds were trying to look for food when they became iced in.

Teams carefully pulled the animals from South Drain and took them to a shelter.

They will be fed and kept safe until the Drain thaws.

Ten others were found dead on the ice.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:24 am

Well this certainly got my attention. Waiting for video to download.......
Tragic to those who have died. Thank you so much for those who cared enough to help these swans!
And thanks especially to you Betep for finding & sharing this.

On another note; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvETCQiUCv4&feature=related
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:45 pm

sigh......... since early this morning have been attempting to get the swan video to load. given it 7 tries........ will quit on the 8th.......... Question
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:10 am

BBC video usually loads pretty well.
Might have been a busy server someplace along the line.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 am

I thought it may be the new printer infucting the system. Not the case. Some videos this pc just won`t do. Other videos work ok.

I will see this video somewhere !!!!!!!! somehow!
thanks!
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Mute Swans- More than Most people want to know!

Post  mermaid on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 am

http://www.stanley-park-swans.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/index.pl?#m_863

A lovely, informative site! Including a 30 question quiz! Oh what fun.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounce cheers bounce
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:59 am

http://royalromance.royalroundup.com/?p=774

Kinda cool. BUT then I found out roast swan is on the royal menu!!! good grief
Shocked
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:37 pm

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&handle=Smac6590&number=58&album_id=&thumbstart=-1&gallery=SQL#slideanchor

This handsome cobb is in CA.

Plenty of sightings all over the Cape. Yet noone at the office as of yet Sad

........not giving up that easy - Patience !! coffee
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 am

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&handle=isight&number=3210&album_id=467&thumbstart=0&gallery=CURRNONWEATHER#slideanchor

Pocasset, MA

darn it.... none at Scargo yet !! swan
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Spotted !!!!

Post  mermaid on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:44 am

Three ( - 3 - ) !!!! little BIG darlings on Scargo yesterday 4-20-11

to be continued !!!!!!!!!!
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:24 am

1906 Swan Egg

The Swan Egg is a Fabergé egg, one in a series of fifty-two jewelled eggs made under the supervision of Peter Carl Fabergé. Commissioned in 1906 by Tsar Nicholas II, the egg was presented to the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna on Easter that year for her 40th wedding anniversary.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Oh!! how lovely !! swan clap
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Ask the Birdfolks

Post  mermaid on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

http://birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/MuteSwanCygnets.htm

Dear Bird Folks,
We’ve been watching a family of swans in a local pond. In addition to the two parents, there are seven young ones. However, two of the young swans are white, while the other five are brown. Why aren’t all of the babies the same color?

– Marg and Frank, Brewster, MA

It’s Cape Cod, Marg and Frank,
If swans want to have some white babies and some brown babies, no one around here is going to stop them. Cape Cod is one of the most tolerant places on earth. Every lifestyle is welcome here. Haven’t you ever been to Provincetown? Talk about bending the rules. I know a guy from there who has both a dog and a cat. Can you imagine? In addition to that, we have customers who buy peanuts each week just to feed squirrels. Squirrels! Where else in the world would you find people feeding squirrels…on purpose? And to some extent, even Yankee fans are tolerated around here. Cape Cod is truly a bohemian’s utopia. The only two groups who can’t seem to get along are the wind power factions, but that’s not the Cape’s fault. Jimmy Carter couldn’t bring those two head-butters together.

North America only has two native species of swans and neither is likely to be seen on Cape Cod. The swan we see swimming in our ponds and bays is the introduced Mute Swan. Mute Swans are far from perfect. Depending upon who you talked to, they are either creatures of stately beauty or of great annoyance (much like myself). The peculiar thing about these swans is that the public loves them, while the authorities would like to see them disappear. This is a little ironic because often it’s the officials who push for protection of certain animals, while the public would rather have them eliminated. This is especially true for creatures like coyotes, Canada Geese, Piping Plovers and Yankee fans.

There is little doubt that Mute Swans are an invasive species, but since I’ve just finished saying that Cape Cod is place of tolerance, I’m not going to talk about their problems right now. I’ll just write a little about their natural history and we can talk about their ugly side some other time. That should save me from getting hate mail from the M.S.H.W. (Mute Swan Huggers of the World). That’s one nasty group…kind of like the swans.

Mute Swans typically form into pairs in late winter. Once paired up the two birds usually remain together for life. Divorce among swans is rare, but when it does occur it is most often the result of a failed nesting season. Bird couples that can’t reproduce have little reason to be together. The other possible reason for divorce is when the female complains that the male never talks to her. To which the male thinks to himself, “Hello? I’m a ‘Mute’ Swan. You knew that when you married me.” Either bird will quickly look for a new mate if the other one dies. Male Mute Swans are willing to accept either a younger or older female, but females generally only pick younger males for a new mate. They don’t want another old guy dropping dead on them.

When it comes to nest site selection, it’s the male’s job to find an acceptable location. He usually picks several spots and may even start nest construction on a few of them. But no matter how hard he works, it is the female that ultimately decides where the couple will live. (I know exactly how he feels.) On average the female lays six eggs and will do most of the incubating. Only when she gets up to find food will the male sit on the eggs. But since he lacks a brood batch, his egg sitting is mostly so he can tell his friends that he helps out around the nest. After about five weeks the young swans hatch out of their shells and are ready to take on the world. Here’s where things get interesting.

When the proud parents look at their brand new family of cygnets, the first thing they may notice is that the kids don’t all look the same. Some of their babies may be all white, while others may be totally gray. The shocked adult birds then turn to each other with a look of “What the heck?” - to which they both simultaneously reply, “Don’t look at me.” Producing swanlings of assorted colors may at first indicate fowl play (get it?), but it’s actually quite normal. For some reason, Marg and Frank, cygnets have two color morphs. For the first few months of their lives, young swans may be either white or gray/brown. But no matter which color they are at the beginning, eventually all the babies grow to look just like their parents, which means they all will be totally white, very handsome and really bad at dancing.

That would make me a M.S.H.W. ! and darn proud of it
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Queen's swans to get 'flu' jabs

Post  Betep on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:19 am

From The Telegraph (UK) Queen's swans to get 'flu' jabs

The Queen's swans are to be given vaccinations in a desperate attempt to prevent another deadly outbreak of disease that has struck the flock near Windsor Castle.

12:00PM BST 09 Sep 2011

Royal officials are currently drawing up emergency plans to provide the Thames birds with "flu jabs" after half of the flock was killed off.

More than 180 birds have died in recent months as a result of the worst virus in years combined with the recent severe winter.

The Queen's swan warden Professor Christopher Perrins and her royal swan marker David Barber are to hold an emergency meeting to discuss the plans.

Wendy Hermon, who is co-ordinator of Swan Lifeline Sanctuary on Cuckoo Weir Island, Eton, said: "The start of the year was the worst I have ever seen.

"We lost 180 birds, many of them were just floating in the river.

"A good way of doing it would be to create a pen and attract the swans into it with bread.

"It would be easy to vaccinate them and we could give them a full health check at the same time."

Post-mortem examinations by the Government's Veterinary Laboratories Agency revealed the swans were killed by a range of infections.

These included necrotic enteritis, duck virus enteritis and aspergillosis, while a combination of NE and DVE is likely to have made this worse.

Mrs Hermon anticipates that one batch of the vaccine costing 200 pounds should do the trick and is enough to protect 1,000 of the birds.

In July, the traditional Swan Upping ceremony was marred by fears the effects the killer virus had had on the birds.

The historic ceremony, which dates back 800 years, features teams of experts in scarlet uniforms journeying along the water in boats adorned with flags and pennants.

Together they count and weigh the broods of cygnets found along the way, allowing them to keep a close eye on the health and numbers of swans.

The Queen is the official owner of all swans in open water in Britain.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman was unavailable for comment.

swan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top