Cape Cod Times Awards

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cape Cod Times Awards

Post  Betep on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Times named Newspaper of the Year
By CAPE COD TIMES
October 23, 2010

HYANNIS — The Cape Cod Times has been selected as the 2010 Daily Newspaper of the Year and the Distinguished Sunday Newspaper of the Year by the New England Newspaper & Press Association.

The awards were announced Thursday at NENPA's fall conference and awards ceremony at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Natick.

"We are particularly proud of this honor because it recognizes the great work of our whole team," Times editor Paul Pronovost said. "Every member of our staff plays an important role in our journalism and it's good to be recognized among our peers."

The Times competes with newspapers throughout New England in the 35,000-60,000 circulation for daily and 40,000-70,000 for Sunday. The competition is a combination of the former New England Press Association (NEPA) and New England Newspaper Association (NENA), which merged this year. Previously, NEPA and NENA ran separate Newspaper of the Year contests. Since 2006, the Cape Cod Times has either won or been a runner-up for the Daily and Sunday Newspaper of the Year awards in both NEPA and NENA contests.

The Standard-Times of New Bedford, the Times' sister paper, also did well, receiving the Distinguished Daily Newspaper of the Year in the 22,500-35,000 circulation category, a Publick Occurrences Award for Outstanding Journalism, and the Alan B. Rogers Editorial Award.
WOW! Circulation has dropped!!! The New Beige Standard Times is a shadow of what it once was, not a sister newspaper but the Parent of the Cape Cod Sub-Standard Times. I'll try and dig up older peak circulation numbers.

Last edited by Betep on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Aries Posts : 1745

Back to top Go down

Re: Cape Cod Times Awards

Post  mermaid on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:21 am

How did I miss this bit of info...? ...........Newspaper of the year? this has to be an incorrect reporting error.
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Times reaps top awards at NENPA contest

Post  Betep on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 am

Times reaps top awards at NENPA contest

February 14, 2011

BOSTON — The Cape Cod Times received 34 awards in the New England Newspaper & Press Association's annual Better Newspaper Contest, including Journalist of the Year honors for staff writer Patrick Cassidy, and general excellence for newspapers with circulation of 40,000 or higher, the top award in the competition.

"It's such a pleasure to see Patrick recognized by his peers with this great award," said Times editor Paul Pronovost. "Patrick works so hard every day and he cares so much about what he does. Whether he's covering the Cape's wastewater issues, running to a fire scene, or interviewing a family member who lost a loved one, Patrick gives his heart and soul to his reporting every day."

While Cassidy was singled out for his exceptional year, Pronovost said the general excellence award is proof of the consistent excellence of the Times' journalism. "New England has some of the best newspapers in the country, so it's gratifying to be recognized with this honor."

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:57 am

affraid
Is this some kind of misprint? Suspect
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:43 pm

mermaid wrote: affraid
Is this some kind of misprint? Suspect
I renamed the subject because they seem to be winning an award of some sort all the time. What is the competition like? Is it like coming in First Place at the Special Olympics?

Did Patrick Cassidy win because he didn't make any misteeks? Did he win Hunkiest Reporter? From celebriFi

"Patrick Cassidy is greeted by his wife, Merrily Cassidy, after Patrick was announced as journalist of the year among New England's dailies at NENPA's awards banquet. Both Cassidys are on the news staff of the Cape Cod Times of Hyannis, Mass., and Merrily also was an award winner at the banquet Feb. 12."

Anyway, they won something legit so I'll add it because they get beat up a lot.

New England Newspaper & Press Association coverage for full coverage.

"A celebration among staff and others begins as the Cape Cod Times of Hyannis, Mass., is announced at the New England Newspaper and Press Association awards banquet Saturday, Feb. 12, as the first-place winner for general excellence among New England's larger dailies."

The winter convention concluded with the New England Better Newspaper Contest awards banquet. The following won in key categories:

Weekly Journalist of the Year: Susan Parkou Weinstein, The Raynham (Mass.) Call
Daily Journalist of the Year: Patrick Cassidy, Cape Cod Times, Hyannis, Mass.
Weekly Rookie of the Year: Nathan Burgess, Waterbury (Conn.) Record
Weekly Photographer of the Year: Robin Chan, Mariner Newspapers/GateHouse Media New England
Daily Photographer of the Year: Peter Pereira, The Standard-Times, New Bedford, Mass.
Overall Newspaper Website, Daily 2 (larger dailies): Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine
Overall Newspaper Website, Daily 1 (smaller dailies): The Sun Chronicle, Attleboro, Mass
Overall Newspaper Website, Weeklies: The Ellsworth (Maine) American
General Excellence, Daily 2: Cape Cod Times
General Excellence, Daily 1: Foster’s Daily Democrat, Dover, N.H.
General Excellence, Weekly D (largest weeklies): Ellsworth American
General Excellence, Weekly C: Addison County Independent, Middlebury, Vt.
General Excellence, Weekly B: The Stowe (Vt.) Reporter
General Excellence, Weekly A (smallest weeklies): North East Independent, North Kingston, R.I.
General Excellence, Biweekly/Monthly: The Catholic Transcript, Hartford, Conn.

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 am

Trade group honors Times

By CAPE COD TIMES
September 17, 2011

MARLBORO — The Cape Cod Times has been awarded the Thomas K. Brindley public service prize by The Associated Press for the newspaper's series about widespread prescription drug abuse.

The award is one of 26 presented to the Times at the New England Associated Press News Executives Association conference in Marlboro on Friday.

The annual Thomas K. Brindley Award is named for the late managing editor of The Fall River Herald News. The honor is bestowed upon a New England newspaper for high-quality journalism that benefits the public. The Times received the award for "Pills that Kill," a three-part series about prescription drug addiction on the Cape. The series was reported by K.C. Myers, photographed by Merrily Cassidy and edited by Linda Corcoran.

"The Pills team showed the cascading effect of abuse and addiction, and how drugs are spreading into the mainstream at a frightening pace," Times editor Paul Pronovost said. "The series was intended to open our eyes and provoke the community to action. We are pleased The Associated Press recognized that effort."

One of the AP award judges heaped praise on the "Pills that Kill" series: "A splendid series. Thoroughly reported, written and edited. If I were a parent on Cape Cod I would have devoured this series. Made me wonder what's going on in my own backyard."

Cape Cod Online's Gregory Bryant also received top website awards for public service and special section for "Pills that Kill."

Other AP awards the Times garnered included:

First place: Heather Wysocki and Aaron Gouveia, right-to-know reporting; Mary Ann Bragg, feature writing; James Warren, business page design; James Warren, feature page design; James Warren, fine art illustration; Larry Rowe, photo illustration; Cape Cod Online, news presentation; Cape Cod Online, entertainment section.

Second place: Aaron Gouveia, deadline reporting; K.C. Myers, Linda Corcoran and Merrily Cassidy, enterprise reporting; James Warren, informational graphic; Don Wilding, sports page design.

Third place: Linda Corcoran, headline writing; K.C. Myers, deadline reporting; Kathi Scrizzi-Driscoll, business reporting; Melanie Lauwers, editorial writing; Merrily Cassidy, portrait photography; Merrily Cassidy, sports feature photography; Saralee Perel, column writing; James Warren, fine art illustration; Dhyana Sansoucie, local page design; Eric Gongola, front page design; Jim Preston, photo illustration.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:59 am

I do enjoy Saralee Perel`s column very much. Good for her !!!! & us.

I do not enjoy all the mistakes...which I wouldn`t know about if not for our fearless leader here~! king here`s a crown for ya Betep - hope that helps.

I currently have a pile of CCT`s newspapers dating from LAST Sunday I keep moving from place to place. I have a good idea where this pile is headed next.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Cape Cod Times earns top honors in NENPA contest

Post  Betep on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Cape Cod Times earns top honors in NENPA contest

October 07, 2011

NATICK — The Cape Cod Times received four prestigious journalism awards from the New England Newspaper & Press Association, including the daily Newspaper of the Year and Sunday Newspaper of the Year.

The Times also received the Morley L. Piper First Amendment Award and a Publick Occurrences Award for Outstanding Journalism at the newspaper association's fall conference Thursday.

The Morley L. Piper award, named for the longtime executive director of the New England Newspaper Association, honors a newspaper for reporting that upholds the principles of the First Amendment. Times reporters Heather Wysocki and Aaron Gouveia received the award for "Desperate Minutes," a series of stories examining the circumstances of a Mashpee woman's choking death.

The Publick Occurrences award, named for the first newspaper published in America in 1690 (and closed after four days by the royal governor), recognizes meritorious journalism by a New England newspaper. K.C. Myers, Merrily Cassidy and Linda Corcoran received the award for "Pills that Kill," a three-day series that showed the cascading effect of abuse and addiction, and how drugs are spreading into the mainstream at a frightening pace.

The daily newspaper was selected for the top award in the 35,000-60,000 circulation category, while the Sunday paper was selected in the 40,000-70,000 circulation category. This is the second year in a row the Times has been named daily newspaper of the year and the third time in five years it has been named Sunday newspaper of the year.

"We are pleased to be recognized by our colleagues," said Times editor Paul Pronovost. "But our true judges are the many Cape Codders and Islanders who pick us up each day, and we are committed to producing the highest quality journalism for our readers."

The awards were presented Thursday at NENPA's fall conference in Natick.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 am

Corrections for this newsflash? gotta be...... unless I need to look in one of the rag sheets for the REAL STORY

Bah sheep and balderdash.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

358 views for this set of articles.
Someone is watching. stooges

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:06 pm

From the Inquirer and Mirror (Nantucket):

I&M named a New England Newspaper of the Year

(Oct. 7, 2011) The Inquirer and Mirror was named the New England Newspaper and Press Association's Weekly Newspaper of the Year in its circulation category during NENPA's annual fall conference Thursday in Natick.

Judges specifically mentioned the breadth and depth of the I&M's news coverage in choosing it for the honor, and singled out its comprehensive calendar and community-interest postings, including First Birthdays.

The Inquirer and Mirror will celebrate its 190th anniversary next Friday, Oct. 14, with a community birthday party from noon-1:30 p.m. with chowder, hot dogs, cake and the opportunity to win an iPad. All are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:30 pm

358 views..?
Whom could that be? Same ones who killed us off CCT`s forum while they lied about the changes?

coffee
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 pm

From the NENPA:
New England Newspaper of the Year
NENPA recognizes the extraordinary achievements of newspapers and newspaper personnel in the six-state New England region by presenting a wide variety of prestigious awards each year.

The New England Newspaper of the Year award recognizes the region’s highest quality newspapers based on experts’ and readers’ impression of the quality of their reporting and writing, use of photos, design and presentation, online offering, and overall utility and value (categorized by circulation level).

This competition is unlike any other in our industry because the winners are selected by the audience – jury panels of newspaper readers. Editors are invited to watch the juries deliberate in order to glean strategic insight about how their paper compares with its peers and to identify ways to increase its effectiveness and appeal.

Read Article: Readers join journalists in judging best N.E. papers

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Look out! A slew of stuff from New England Associated Press News Executives Association. A full page of self congratulations.

I looked for a press release but found nothing.

Google "cape cod times wins awards" and this page is seventh on the list.

Back to top Go down

CapeCast wins EPPY award for best webcast

Post  Betep on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 am

CapeCast wins EPPY award for best webcast

December 02, 2011

HYANNIS — CapeCast, the daily webcast of the Cape Cod Times and CapeCodOnline.com, received a prestigious "EPPY" award from Editor & Publisher on Wednesday for best webcast.

CapeCast is produced by Cape Cod Times staffers Eric Williams and Jason Kolnos and features quirky video stories from all corners of Cape Cod. It can be seen at capecodonline.com/capecast.

The international EPPY awards honor the best media-affiliated websites in the industry. Editor & Publisher, a California-based magazine and website that covers the newspaper business, has been awarding EPPYs for the past 16 years.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/EPPYAwards/Winners/

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:13 am

Ah, the Quirky award...very nice.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Cape Cast

Post  Betep on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:27 pm

I wonder how many hits he gets every week.

Maybe I'll ask. :computerwork:

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:06 am

Oh! please do! I`d like to know :facepalm3:
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:56 pm

mermaid wrote:Oh! please do! I`d like to know :facepalm3:

Really?
My sarcasm meter is broken.

/Not Sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:07 am

I`m not being sarcastic! I`d really like to know! bounce
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:51 pm

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/capecast?blend=21&ob=5#p/a

Profile:
Name:
CapeCast
Channel Views:
Total Upload Views:
Latest Activity:
1 day ago
Subscribers:
http://www.capecodonline.com/capecast
What if two reporters grabbed video cameras and ran out into the world screaming for content? That's what happened when CapeCast, the daily webcast of the Cape Cod Times, was born in 2007.

A thousand shows and three million YouTube views later, we're still at it, bringing Cape Codders spirited video chunks about the people and places that define our peninsula.

Throw in original music, a zany velocity and the freedom to explore one of the most beautiful places in the country and youve got CapeCast, the sometimes epic, sometimes goofy, sometimes jump-the-shark video show that may be impossible to live without.

Check us out every
weekday at noon: www.capecodonline.com/capecast
About Me:

CapeCast is the weekday WebCast of the Cape Cod Times, Hyannis, MA
Hometown:
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
United States

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:30 am

clap How did we ever live without Capecast? squirrel1
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 am

mermaid wrote: clap How did we ever live without Capecast? squirrel1

From someone that is Quirky, Odd and Sometimes Annoying, I don't know.

I have been talking with Admin about e-mailing Mr. Williams. Perhaps he will help with accurate numbers on Page B-12 that I can post on Page Zero. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully, I won't be featured on Cape-Cast! clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:07 am

Times collects 46 NENPA awards

February 14, 2012

The Cape Cod Times and Cape Cod Online received 46 awards from the New England Newspaper & Press Association, including special recognition for the Pills that Kill series and Journalist of the Year honors for Patrick Cassidy.

Doug Fraser received the top award in the Right-to-Know category for his reporting of an incident involving an off-duty Orleans police officer. "Good dogged work to get the truth," the judges said.

"It's a privilege to be honored by our peers in this contest, which puts on display the best journalism in New England," editor Paul Pronovost said. "There is some amazing work out there and we're proud to be part of it."

This is the second year in a row that Cassidy was recognized as Journalist of the Year. He also received awards in five individual categories, including environmental reporting, personality profile, transportation reporting, science and technology, and election coverage.

The pills series, written by K.C. Myers and edited by Linda Corcoran, was singled out for the impact in the community. "A fine series that looks at addiction and death on Cape Cod," the judges noted. "The community's response, from classroom to political reaction to public forums, is a credit to what this paper did."

Cape Cod Online received seven first-place awards, including best overall website, best website design and digital-print convergence.

Patrick Cassidy gestures in celebration of his repeat victory this year as the New England Newspaper and Press Association’s journalist of the year for dailies.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down