Betep's Page 0

Jim Coogan Column

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jim Coogan Column

Post  Old Caper on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:21 pm

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100525/OPINION/5250326/-1/OPINION0304

Mr. Coogan is a homey. He thinks Northeastern states should be in the running. He has confused, perhaps deliberately, the premise of the CDC survey which he criticizes in his column. It purports to list the sites with the happiest populations. Nothing else. Mr. Coogan not only finds fault with the results, but blatantly and gratuiously insults the winning states and their citizens.

According to the CDC, "…people who live in sunny states — like Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama and Arizona — are the happiest Americans. Ranking No. 1 on the feel-good meter was Louisiana." Tough to fault that.

Mr. Coogan's ingorant response: "…the CDC survey has concluded that the happiest Americans live in the poorest and dumbest states in the nation." The problem is that the states aren't poor and dumb. They're just territory. What Coogan is really saying is the people are poor and dumb. Not a nice thing to say.

Mr. Coogan's error, or ignorance, lies in his belief that other categories should have been considered; stuff like crime, education, poverty, employment, etc., etc. Well Jimbo, don't you think that if the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wanted to change the focus of the survey and include those things, they would have?

The CDC kept it simple. Find the states with the happiest populations. They did. If they wanted to broaden the scope of the survey, they would have. They chose not to. So accept that for what it is and, if you don't like it, try to refute it. But don't go saying the survey is flawed. It did what they wanted it to do, not what you think it should have done.

Keep this up and you can be in the running for the Larry Brown Award for Obfuscation.
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jim Coogan Column

Post  mermaid on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 am

Morning OC.

Honestly, this guy has alot of information to share.

However, there`s something about his columns which always leaves me wondering why -oh- why, he writes about the things he does. Geesh, what is he doing writing about anywhere but the Cape?? Ego? Wishing to appear `worldly"? He`s missed the ferry on both of those.
There are happy people everywhere, and miserable ones too, no matter where we go. Spreading himself wayyyy too thin for my taste. I don`t read his column anymore. Takes 1 second to scan it & turn the page.

Coogan knows history of towns & the people, past & present.
I feel he ought to stick with writing about what he knows... and can be backed up with town/historical sources. There is an abundance of fascinating information to explore right here on Cape. So much history- which people, ok, I at least, would like to read & learn more about.
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Jim Coogan Column

Post  Old Caper on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 pm

I agree. I'd like to read more about the old Cape families and some of the activities that sustained them down through history. Taking salt from sea water. Perhaps about the smuggling days during Prohibition. The glass factory in Sandwich. Whaling. What happened to the forests I've heard were here but destroyed to gather firewood for the railroad. Something about the history of railroading on the Cape, including the drawbridge over the canal, would be nice. The building of the canal must hold a lot of tales in its own right. Marconi. Thornton Burgess. Mass. Maritime Academy. The old camps. Coast Guard rescues. Beach shacks and who lived in them. Erosion through the years. Hell, there's no end to the interesting stuff it would be fun to learn about.
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:52 am

I agree that Jim "Killer" Coogan would do well to stick to Cape Cod topics. I think he does a great job with his Harvest Home Books; good reading and great gifts for people "from away". I had him as a history teacher for two years in High School and I thought he was pretty good. He gave a factual presentation with the question "What would you have done in this set of circumstances?". His most recent column Remembering the USS Liberty gives a good presentation of facts, then asks some questions that are relevant to current events.

I think the article in question asks "Would you rather be smart or happy?" Having lived in the Deep South for a few years I will report that I met a lot of really, really dumb people down there. Not to sound elitist, I met some brilliant people, but more really, really dumb ones. No "Poet-Blacksmiths" or Philosopher-Carpenters", just some simple people that care don't too much about the universe as a whole beyond their own small realm. Happy with their own being and blissfully ignorant of all else. Thas doesn't include the racism or "Damn Yankee" stuff either, which would put the meter off the scale.

Just my observations.

Betep

Aries Posts : 1745

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top