Betep's Page 0

Squirrels!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Squirrels!

Post  Betep on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am

The Fam had an old Zenith stereo system with that turn table when I Was Very Young.

Notes about The Nutty Squirrels:

The success of the musical Alvin and the Chipmunks in the late 1950's spawned numerous imitation recording groups, including the Grasshoppers and the Nutty Squirrels. While the Grasshoppers never made it to animated form, the cartoon version of the Nutty Squirrels actually wound up beating the Chipmunks to TV by a year.

The story of the Nutty Squirrels began when jazzman Don Elliott and TV composer Alexander "Sascha" Burland (who wrote the original theme for TV's What's My Line?), amused by the Chipmunks concept, joined together to record an album in the guise of a hip group of Chipmunk sound-alike rodents. Like Ross Bagdasarian (aka David Seville), they recorded their normal singing voices at 16 RPM, then played them back at 33-1/3 RPM--giving that unique Chipmunk-sound to the hip scat-singing style that Elliott had perfected during his solo work in the early 1950's. Backing Elliott and Burland's altered vocals were some of the best New York session men of the late 1950s, including Cannonball Adderley on sax, Bobby Jaspar on flute, and Sam Most on clarinet. The Nutty Squirrels were quickly signed by the new Hanover-Signature label, owned in part by comedian Steve Allen and producer Bob Thiele. Unfortunately the masters to the album were lost in transit when Allen moved to Los Angeles in the 1960's. A cut from that first album, "Uh-Oh Part 2," made it to number 14 in the Hit Parade for the week of December 28, 1959, almost exactly one year after "The Chipmunk Song" made the same list.

Aries Posts : 1749

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 am

Gray Squirrel-
This tree-dwelling creature grows up to 14 inches long (bushy tail included). It hides food around its home ( in "CACHES" !!!!!! ), and uses its excellent sense of smell to find them again when winter comes and food is scarce.

Another piece of the puzzle perhaps.......!! squirrel1
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:05 am

Back to top Go down

Squirrel info- ahticle

Post  mermaid on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:40 am

Dear Bird Folks,
A few years ago I bought a squirrel-proof birdfeeder from you and much to my surprise it actually does the job. Try as they might, the gray squirrels have not been able to eat from it. Success! However, that all changed last week when a red squirrel arrived in my yard. Now it sits in the feeder, eats away and screams at anything that tries to interrupt him. Where did this creature come from and how can I keep it out of my feeder?

– Scott, Mystic, CT

Don’t be so surprised, Scott,
Some of the stuff we sell actually does what it’s supposed to do. Not everything we offer is a scam. But you are wise to be skeptical. Last week I saw a notice in the paper from a guy advertising “invisible fences.” What? Is he really trying to sell something that’s “invisible”? Now that sounds like a scam. How would anyone know if it was actually installed? Maybe I should start selling invisible stuff. Just think of the storage room I’d save. Invisible birdseed would certainly help my tired back. And anytime a bird landed in a tree, I could tell people that it’s eating from one of my invisible birdfeeders. I’d sell millions. I have to get working on this one.

The American Red Squirrel is one lucky creature. While the entire human race is cursing its larger cousin, the gray squirrel, old red is getting away with murder, sometimes literally. (More on that later.) The bird feeding industry has spent millions designing feeders that keep out gray squirrels (with moderate success), but they haven’t spent a nickel on the red issue. It’s a clear case of discrimination. Just like kitchen gadgets that are only designed for right-handed people or TV reality shows that are produced for dumb people. Smart lefties have been totally ignored. Fortunately, there aren’t that many of them.

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of dealing with a red squirrel let me fill you in. Red squirrels are small tree squirrels. They are fluffy and red, looking like a cross between a chipmunk and that thing that lives on Donald Trump’s head; only they aren’t as cute as the former and not as creepy as the latter. They are highly energetic and feisty, although both descriptions are an understatement. Red squirrels have the energy of a yapping dog, combined with the patience of a Tasmanian devil. (It has been estimated that the energy produced by a single red squirrel could power a small town for a year, but the crooks at the big oil companies have been fighting to keep us from knowing it.)

Red Squirrels are often referred to as “pine squirrels” because their life revolves around pine trees and pinecones. They harvest green pinecones by chewing them right off the branch. The cones are then stashed in a hidden location for later use. It’s easy to tell if red squirrels are in your area because you’ll find large piles of shredded pinecones on the ground. These piles are called “middens.” I really don’t have anything else to say about middens. I just felt like tossing in a random fact. Do with it what you may.

In addition to pine seeds, they eat nuts and may occasionally eat bird eggs, young birds and even baby rabbits. (Here’s the, “getting away with murder” thin I mentioned earlier. I know eating rabbits doesn’t constitute murder, but try telling that to the rabbits.) Before we start thinking of these squirrels as barbarians, you should know they also have a sophisticated side. It seems red squirrels have an appetite for mushrooms. However, they don’t just chow down the mushrooms where they find them. They first carry them up in a tree, place them on a branch and allow them to dry in the sun to become more flavorful before they eat them…or before sautéing them with baby rabbits.

So far, we’ve learned what a midden is and that red squirrels are gourmet cooks, but how do we keep them off our birdfeeders? The answer to this isn’t easy. That’s why it has taken me so long to get to it. Most squirrel-proof feeders operate on either one or two principles, both of which are designed with the gray squirrel in mind. A feeder either closes when a heavy squirrel sits on it, or it has some kind of wire cage around it, which allows the small birds inside to eat, but keeps the fat squirrels out. Like chipmunks, red squirrels are often too light to close a feeder when they sit on it. They are also small enough to fit through most wire cages. This fact is not only annoying to anyone who feeds birds, but it’s equally annoying to me because I have to listen to folks complain about it.

The best way to keep either a gray or red squirrel off of a feeder is to get a good old squirrel baffle. Red squirrels can’t get around them. (And I’m talking about a real baffle, not a used salad bowl or a trashcan cover.) A squirrel baffle designed either for a pole or to be hung off a tree branch will do the trick for you, Scott. Just remember, squirrels are great jumpers. Neither baffle will work unless they it is placed at least five feet above the ground and ten feet away from the nearest tree, bush, fence or midden. If you can’t find a baffle in your area, give me a call. I have a batch of invisible squirrel baffles coming in next week. I’ll give you a good deal on one. Honest.

Perhaps some ideas in here for you? squirrel1
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Squirrel hunt leads to felony assault charge

Post  Betep on Wed May 25, 2011 2:54 am

Squirrel hunt leads to felony assault charge
By GREG TUTTLE Of The Gazette Staff‌ The Billings Gazette | Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:50 pm

A Worden teen who prosecutors allege threatened a man during a confrontation over the teen’s attempt to stab a squirrel with a switchblade has been charged in District Court.

Tough Guy!

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Wed May 25, 2011 7:01 am

World is too full of these little brats.
Hurt people - - hurt animals and people.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Wayward squirrel blamed for Mid-Cape power outage

Post  Betep on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm

From Cape Wide News:
Wayward squirrel blamed for Mid-Cape power outage
YARMOUTH - Reports of power failures in Yarmouth, Hyannis and Barnstable around 5:30 a.m. are apparently the result of a wayward squirrel that shorted out a main line in Yarmouth. NStar crews expect to have the problem resolved shortly.

I tell them time and time again: "Stay away from the power supplies.", Do they listen?
No.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:52 am

squirrel1
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:44 am

Squirrel knocks WIS off the air
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A sneaky squirrel knocked WIS off the air Wednesday morning during the 6 o'clock hour of the morning news.

The power in and around downtown Columbia went out around 6:15 a.m. WIS meteorologist Ben Tanner was in the middle of his weather forecast when the surge caused everything to flicker and shut down at the WIS studios.

Our generators kicked in right away, but several of the computers in the building had to be reset. After a couple of minutes, Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield was back on the air.

SCE&G says a squirrel made its way to an area where is shouldn't have been and caused a problem with one of their breakers.

There is no word on the condition of the squirrel.

Back to top Go down

International Squirrel (белка)

Post  Betep on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 am

From The Moscow News:
Siberian squirrels to colonize Moscow park
by Alina Lobzina at 15/08/2011 12:13

The new-look Gorky Park is set to become Moscow’s top spot for squirrels – following a special delivery of the tufty rodents.

Red squirrels, although widespread in Western Siberian and Altai, are rarely seen in the capital, where they live only in special enclosures in some of the city’s parks.

But a batch of 13 bright-eyed and bushy-tailed visitors – chosen largely for their looks – have already moved in, and once used to their new home, will be released to roam free in the park.

Andrei Romanov, a biologist at the park, admitted it had been something of a beauty pageant, saying that “bigger size, darker coats and bigger ear-tufts” were the favored features.

And his next task is to persuade them to stay in the park and not follow their predecessors to nearby Vorobyovy Gory.

Wrong environment?

But not everyone is welcoming the arrival of the Siberian squirrels, with some experts saying that the animals are unlikely to settle in.

While park bosses hope to see the newcomers start breeding in the spring, others are dubious of the outcome.

“The squirrels were living in Siberia and suddenly were moved to a Moscow park. This is a shock for them as they are not used to our environment,” Boris Samoilov, Moscow region’s nature protection department at the National Research Institute for Nature and the editor-in-chief of Moscow’s red book, told Moskovskiye Novosti.

“American squirrels should live in America, and Siberian ones should live in Siberia,” he added.
squirrel1

Back to top Go down

Sisters Save Squirrels In Storm

Post  Betep on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:38 pm

Nuns To The Rescue After Tropical Storm
SOMERVILLE, Mass. -- By Auditi Guha for WickedLocal.com, our news partner:

Nuns at the Little Sisters of the Poor in Somerville could not have predicted what Sunday’s tropical storm had in store for them after rescuing two baby squirrels that fell out of a tree.

After hours of feeding them formula through syringes and keeping them warm with a heating pad inside a cat carrier, “Chestnut” and “Cashew” are now looking for a new home.

“They were thrown out of a tree and they survived a hurricane,” said Sr. Mary Vincent, the press spokesperson who adopted the foundlings during a clean up on the Highland Avenue property early Monday morning.

Irene blew through the garden, tearing down limbs and caused extensive damage to the property, Vincent said.

As volunteers cleaned up Monday, they found a cold baby squirrel -- about 5 to 6 inches long -- in the debris. Vincent put it in a box and tried to warm it up when she got a call about a second squirrel found. It was a “unique situation” for her, as she has never had to care for animals at the Little Sisters home. She wasn’t even sure they would make it, given that they had been out in the cold all night.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/29032831/detail.html#ixzz1WcpYWhye

Back to top Go down

Squirrel Rescued, Rehabilitated After Plunge Into La Brea Tar Pits

Post  Betep on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:49 am

A squirrel narrowly avoided the fate of so many mastodons and saber-toothed cats eons before, when it was rescued from the La Brea Tar Pits.

A worker from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art saved the creature from the tar pits a few weeks ago and called the California Wildlife Center near Calabasas to rehabilitate the creature, The Acorn reports.

The rescue operation involved lots of soapy water and patient interns scrubbing the squirrel's face with toothbrushes:

After untold buckets of water and nearly one hour later, the tar was cleaned off. The squirrel is now eating on its own and quite angry — signs that it is ready for release.

Back to top Go down

Warning, may contain nuts!

Post  Betep on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:43 pm

From The Daily Mail (UK)
Great British Bake Off viewers shocked by 'explicit' image of male squirrel

* Animal's graphic TV appearance watched by millions

By Kerry Mcqueeney

Millions tuned in to see young grandmother Jo Wheatley crowned winner of the Great British Bake Off.

But her glory could be overshadowed by a squirrel whose brief appearance on the TV show sparked a ding dong on social networking sites.

Viewers were stunned when an explicit clip of a squirrel with unusually large unmentionables popped up on screen during last night's broadcast of the cookery contest.

Now it would seem the squirrel is enjoying his own taste of success after unwittingly exposing its nether region - and gaining an army of fans in the process.

The clip from the show was uploaded to YouTube and jokes about the anatomically-blessed squirrel flooded Twitter within minutes of its appearance.

Viewers were initially alerted to the squirrel's shock appearance ahead of broadcast by journalist Caitlin Moran, who told her Twitter followers: 'I've just seen a preview tape of tomorrow's Great British Bake Off.'

Full story. Worth a click

squirrel1 <--- lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 pm

The squirrel believed to be Rally Squirrel leaves Busch Stadium
St. Louis (KSDK)--Wanted: Rally Squirrel. He ran out onto the field of Busch Stadium, scampering across home plate while the Cardinals' Skip Shumaker was at bat. He got away, but not for long.

The most wanted squirrel in recent history is captured. The Wildlife Rescue Center picks him up from Busch Stadium.

"He won't get peanuts and popcorn like he does here. But he'll have very healthy food and a great environment," said Pam Bolton, Executive Director of the Wildlife Rescue Center.

But how do they know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the squirrel they caught here is the Rally Squirrel? How do we know the real Rally Squirrel is not hanging out in a nearby park ? There's only one way to find out- a trip to the vet at the Wildlife Rescue Center in Ballwin. After observation: "He could absolutely be the one who dashed across home plate. He might have even meant it as a practical joke," said Rehabilitation Manager Kim Rutledge.

No scientific proof. No forensics involved. Only a personality profile.

"You see personality in all of the animals that come through. He's definitely got a lot of personality. He's definitely very active, and probably a little bit mischievous," said Rutledge.

The only thing we know for sure: "It is a boy, it is an adult male. This official Rally Squirrel is an adult male," said Rutledge.

And he's in good health. Surviving on stadium peanuts and popcorn , the city squirrel's diet will change now that he's about to become a country squirrel in Castlewood State Park And Rally squirrel is ready. More ready than Rehabilitation Manager Kim Rutledge. But it had to be done. Up the tree he goes, jumping from branch to branch rather than bleacher to bleacher.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 am

Oh my gosh........ hurry, I need kleenex for this touching story ! ! Sad
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 pm

A squirrel crosses home plate in front of the Cardinals' Skip Schumaker in the fifth inning of Game 4. (J.B. Forbes, McClatchy-Tribune)

Do not encourage this criminal behavior from smug squirrels.

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:16 pm

From the Olney Daily Mail:
Woman makes long journey to count squirrels for city
By Kevin Ryden
Olney Daily Mail

It could be said that Catherine Doner is a little nuts about squirrels. She showed her dedication over the weekend by traveling more than 1,000 miles to take part in the 33rd annual Squirrel Count.

Doner is from Enfield, Conn., a suburb of Hartford. She traveled with her father, Arthur Plante. Neither of them have been to the area before, or even the Midwest.

The two stayed at The Holiday from Thursday through Sunday. On Friday afternoon, Doner was excited to see her first white squirrel and could not wait to start counting squirrels at Olney City Park.

“I love squirrels,” she said.

Everyone she knows is aware of that fact, including her co-workers. One of those co-workers e-mailed her a link to the city of Olney’s website.
“She said, ‘Hey, check this out,’” Doner said.

She decided she would travel to Olney to take part in the count, which also fell on her birthday. It was the first time she had ever participated in a squirrel count.

“I thought that would be an excellent vacation,” she said.

Doner said she feeds black squirrels that come into her yard. One that comes regularly has been named “Birda” by Doner.

“I like watching them,” she said of her fascination with squirrels. “I just think they’re cute.”

She and her father got their first glimpse of white squirrels Friday afternoon at the city park and they shopped at Wildwoods on Main Street for squirrel memorabilia.

Plante said he was happy to tag along, but, “I don’t quite share her enthusiasm.”
The count will be held Oct. 15 and 22.

Counting begins each day at 7:30 a.m., weather permitting.

Volunteers are needed and welcome to participate in any or all Saturdays.

For more information or to volunteer, contact Belinda Henton at (618) 395-7302 ext. 222.

Henton said the visit by Doner and Plante was great for local tourism.

“This is like tourism at its utmost,” she said.

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:47 am

So when are you leaving ? squirrel1
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:51 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/offbeat/view/20111013squirrel_blamed_for_connecticut_power_outages/

Squirrel blamed for Connecticut power outages
By Associated Press
Thursday, October 13, 2011 -

GREENWICH, Conn. — A squirrel is being blamed for a utility problem that cut power to more than half the customers in Greenwich.

Connecticut Light & Power spokesman Mitch Gross says the squirrel was killed by thousands of volts of electricity and caused a piece of equipment to malfunction Thursday morning at one of the utility’s substations.

More than 15,000 of the town’s 27,910 customers lost power for more than an hour, but crews restored electricity to most of them by midday Thursday.

Police said officers were directing traffic in parts of town where traffic lights were out.
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Squirrel Nutkin? No I'm Squirrel Pumpkin: The grey critter getting into the Halloween spirit

By Mail On Sunday Reporter

Last updated at 3:52 PM on 30th October 2011

Meet the grey squirrel who’s going nuts about Halloween...

It is fascinated by Vicky Freeman’s hollowed-out pumpkin, trying to work out whether it’s a treat to get its teeth into or a mere trick suspended by a piece of string.

For minutes on end, it jumps inside the pumpkin, then out again.

Back to top Go down

Follow Up to Wed May 25, 2011 2:54 am

Post  Betep on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Man admits switchblade assault in squirrel dispute

A Worden teen who threatened a man with a switchblade in a dispute over the teen's attempt to stab a squirrel has admitted to charges in District Court.

Lance Joseph Topel, 19, appeared Tuesday before Judge Russell Fagg and pleaded guilty to felony assault with a weapon.

Topel also admitted to misdemeanor charges of being under 21 and driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.02 percent or greater, and driving without insurance.

A third misdemeanor charge of driving without a valid license will be dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

Topel was charged for an incident May 7 in Ballantine. The 40-year-old victim told sheriff's deputies that he saw Topel near his house chasing a squirrel with a knife. The man said he told Topel to stop because he liked squirrels.

Topel responded by telling the man he could kill squirrels and kill him, prosecutors said in court records. Topel, knife in hand, then approached the man.

The man said he retrieved a baseball bat from his vehicle and Topel retreated to a van, yelling that he would return and kill the man and his family. The man's roommate then called the sheriff's office.

A deputy arriving 15 minutes later saw a van traveling at a high speed with the driver waving a baseball bat out the window. The deputy stopped the van and took three occupants, including Topel, into custody at gunpoint.

Topel, who was driving the van, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.064 percent.

The plea agreement calls for prosecutors to recommend that Topel receive a five-year suspended sentence for the felony assault charge. Topel could be ordered to serve some jail time and pay fines for the misdemeanors, but he may be given credit for the time he served in jail since his arrest.

Fagg followed a condition of the plea agreement that called for Topel to be released from the county jail without bond pending a sentencing hearing, which was scheduled for Feb. 7.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_796dfc85-be6c-5dc9-bfac-32d9a4d1ca8c.html#ixzz1cVbwxzU8

Squirrel Judge drops hammer!

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:06 am

Whoa.
All rise....for the Honorable Judge Esq.uirral - and he doesn`t look all at ALL pleased.

hah - hah, somebodys gonna get it!! clap
Here`s one idea of punishment......:shark-smilie:
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:11 pm

He's nuts about corn on the cob: Chubby the squirrel puts on a little too much weight for the winter

By Pamela Owen

Barely able to fit into his feeder and gently resting his foot on the side of the chair to keep his balance, this greedy squirrel tucks into his daily meal.

The large rodent has been piling on the pounds in preparation for a harsh winter and every day he is given a new cob to keep him going.

Amateur photographer Paulette King has dubbed the gray squirrel 'Chubby' because of its massive size.

Every day he visits the woodland garden where he can be seen munching his way through the food and at times, even resorts to burying some before coming back for more.__________________________

Brit squirrels!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:22 am

Squirrel kills electricity to Cape neighborhood

January 01, 2012

WEST YARMOUTH — A utility pole fire on Higgins Crowell Road in West Yarmouth left 32 properties without power Saturday morning for about 90 minutes.

Yarmouth firefighters responded to the fire shortly before 7:30 a.m.

A citizen reported seeing flames at 347 Higgins Crowell Road, a fire official said. NStar electric utility company came to the scene and turned off the power in the area, and the fire department doused the fire.

NStar workers restored the power at 8:48 a.m., an NStar spokesman said.

A squirrel had somehow accessed the power flow, the spokesman said; the squirrel didn't make it, he said.

I tell them, time and time again.
Do they listen? Nooooo....
Electricity + squirrel1 = BAD!

Back to top Go down

Squirrel Painter (?)

Post  Betep on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:09 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content